Friday, September 25, 2015

Five for Friday

Welcome to my first foray into Five for Friday!  


I'm so happy to be linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to share five random facts about my week.  :)




Well first on my list actually happened last in order of these photos... but I can't help myself - I'm still so excited about this!   In January, the amazingly creative and super sweet Jenny Knappenberger - who also happens to be my AZ bloggy buddy! - posted the coolest linky party ever, "What's the Story Behind the Logo?" on her blog, Art with Jenny K.

I loved the whole idea of reading everybody's backstory, so I excitedly wrote up my own story behind Hedgehog Reader.  Here is a link to my original post.

This morning, Jenny left a message telling me that I was one of five sellers Teachers Pay Teachers included in a post they wrote about the linkup!  Yippee!  I still can't believe it!  






I love books of all shapes, sizes, and genres...  but if I HAD to pick a favorite genre that I read for pleasure, the winner is no doubt YA dystopian.  I enjoyed James Dashner's Maze Runner series, and the movie franchise is proving to be enjoyable as well.  I went to The Scorch Trials with my son on Monday, and we agreed that it's better than the first Maze Runner movie.  There were a couple spots where, much to my son's amusement, I nearly jumped out of my skin!!!  It's a very fun movie, and if you enjoyed the book, I think you'll like the movie too.  :)





This photo is not good at all - sorry! - but I wanted to share my blogging schedule board that I finished up earlier this week.  I use a magnetic board to put up my own blog posts that I want to write, as well as collaborative blog posts and linky parties.  It's hard to see the cutest thing in that corner - a sweet little chandelier!  I think I will have to do a little tour of my home office in a future blog post.




I work out pretty much every day - it's that whole I-love-food-AND-I-love-fashion thing - and I just can't do it without music.  My daughter texted me a link to this song because she knew I'd love it - and I do!  Have you heard it?  "Downtown" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis is super funky and backspin hip-hoppy with some fun surprise elements thrown in for good measure - perfect to distract me through my cardio!



I love volunteering as a member of East Valley Women's League, and one of my very favorite projects is STIP - Supporting Teens In Parenting.  I co-chair this project with my friend Laurie, and the organization that we work with is TAPP - our Tempe Unified High School District comprehensive program for pregnant and parenting teens.

We are helping to set up a home reading program - yay! - and above is the bulletin board that we put up this week.



We also set up this incentive wall.
As each student reads aloud a book to her baby, she will create a segment for the caterpillar's body.
It'll be fun to see how long this guy gets!

                                                                                           



We've been organizing all of the books with library cards and pockets.  It's especially heartwarming to see how excited all of the girls are as they see these stacks of books!


Have a fabulous Friday!

11 comments:

  1. What a great way to give back to the community with volunteering with teen moms. It takes a village and these babies absolutely need the village to rally round them and support the young families as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment, Alessa!
      I really feel blessed to be able to help with these girls, and to know that this reading program is helping them to get a head start on their babies' educational success!
      xo Pam

      Delete
  2. The incentive wall looks great! It'll be so much fun watching the caterpillar grow and i'm sure will definitely keep them all motivated! Congratulations on being one of five! Love your blogging board - that will definitely keep you organised - i need to invest in something to keep me organised for my blogging!

    Teaching Autism

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comments!
      I am really excited to see how that caterpillar grows; the girls seem really excited!
      And I really needed this board to keep myself organized - it's working, little by little!
      xo Pam

      Delete
  3. That blogging board is brilliant! Thanks for sharing. I think that is something I might have to start doing myself. Still new to this blogging world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm quite new also, and I really needed this to help keep me organized!
      xo Pam

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      This board is helping to keep me organized (which I really needed!)
      xo Pam

      Delete
  5. I love a good YA book too! I haven't read the Maze Runner series yet but my daughter is really into them. I will have to add them to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the series as much as I did! (It's SO much fun to find a new series, isn't it?!?) And if you like, I can send you a bunch of recommendations for your daughter if she'd like more dystopian YA series to read! xo Pam

      Delete
  6. Great post! I need to read Maze Runner. Also, Downtown is such a fun song! Have you seen the music video? The guy that sings in it is crazy! I saw him on the Tonight Show and I was cracking up! You should look it up.

    I would also love to see a close-up of your calendars. I am trying to figure out how to organize all my blogging/tpt stuff and am having a hard time.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete