Saturday, January 3, 2015

What's the Story Behind the Logo?



I've taught since the mid 1980s, and have always integrated literature into every subject area.  It seemed like such a logical, natural way to help children access learning; everybody loves a story, right?  :o)  Even when I served as a mathematics instructional coach, I would look for picture books and novels to relate the concept or strategy to students' interests and experiences.

THAT explains the "reader" part of my logo!

But the hedgehog...  Well that is a little harder to pinpoint.

For starters, I love furry, fluffy, chubby, cute creatures.  Human babies, chicks, puppies, even a well-rendered robot with just the right qualities...  they make me smile!   Woodland creatures are among my favorites, and hedgehogs... well, they're just adorable!  I've never seen a hedgehog in real life, but that didn't stop me from becoming rather obsessed with them.  

This is a photo of me with what might be the closest thing to a hedgehog that I've been up close to.  It's a quokka, and although many consider them to be essentially vermin, I think they're cute as can be!  This picture was taken on Australia's Rottnest Island, where the quokkas roam quite freely!  
When I was thinking up a name for my blog, I knew that I wanted to have a little something that felt cozy and fun.  So that's where the HEDGEHOG part of my logo came from.  :o)

Initially, Hedgehog Reader was a blog I created as a place I could post book reviews for the parents of my students.  When I became a seller on TpT, I decided to redesign my blog but keep my name.  Danielle at Crayonbox Designs drew the sweet little guy that you see on all of my things now!

There's a story behind everybody's name, I think!  You can share yours too by linking up to Jenny K.

9 comments:

  1. This is a great story and I love your cute little hedgehog!!! What a cute sign off too..."hedgehugs"...very nice! thank you for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice comments, Jenny! And thank you for starting such a neat link-up - it's been super fun to read the behind-the-scenes stories of so many people's logos! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahoo! You have comments. I love the blog design and the hedgehog totally makes the whole thing. Now I know the reason behind the name! Love it.

    Mrs. D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. I honestly expected you to share a connection to Jan Brett for some reason, and I'm sure her books were some of the ones you recommended to your kiddos. Great story!
    Carla from Comprehension Connection

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. D, thank you for your sweet words! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carla, I love Jan Brett!!! And I am sure that her amazing illustrations have most certainly impacted my love of hedgehogs :o)
    Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to be sure you saw that your story was featured in the TPT blog post about this link up :) http://blog.teacherspayteachers.com/whats-behind-that-profile-pic/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jenny!!! Thank you for letting me know - this is so exciting! xo Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a fun linkup to participate in and story to read about. I have to admit-my heart lies with the ocean and the mammals that live in it. Having said that, furry, fluffy, chubby, cute creatures rock! I love that you connect with the hedgehog. That's so exciting that your story was featured in the TpT blog post. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete